In authentic role-play scenarios, viewers are provided with vivid examples that illustrate how to use empirically supported treatments (ESTs) for panic disorder. In each scenario, a master therapist works with a client diagnosed with panic disorder. The vignettes demonstrate four evidence-based treatments for panic disorder: cognitive and behavioral coping skills, cognitive restructuring, physical sensation exposure, and situational exposure. Each vignette is followed by a critique of the demonstration and helpful suggestions for clinical practice. The DVD opens with a discussion of panic disorder and diagnosing panic disorder. This is followed by an overview of empirically supported treatments for panic disorder with a strong emphasis on how to incorporate EST objectives and interventions into the entire treatment plan. The six essential elements of a treatment plan are discussed in a tutorial section on how to create an effective and clear treatment plan that brings benefit to the client, the clinician, the agency, and the profession. Other common interventions related to panic disorder are also discussed including probing of underlying trauma tied to panic, reinforcement through secondary gain, family/conjoint therapy to reinforce the client for effort and progress, stage-of-change enhancement, and anti-anxiety medication. In addition, common considerations in relapse prevention as are examined.
After you watch this DVD you should:
• Know the process and criteria for diagnosing panic disorder.
• Understand how empirically supported treatments for panic disorder have been identified, what treatment approaches have been designated as empirically supported, as well as objectives and interventions common to each identified treatment.
• Know common considerations in the prevention of relapse of panic disorder.
• Know how to construct a clear and effective treatment plan and empirically inform it with results from psychotherapy research.
• Appreciate the importance of therapeutic relationship factors in the delivery of an empirically informed treatment plan
Understanding and applying the information in this DVD will:
• Educate clinicians and administrators about well established empirically supported treatments for panic disorder
• Educate clinicians and students about how to construct a treatment plan and empirically inform it with results from psychotherapy research
• Maximize the likelihood of client improvement
• Satisfy funding sources -- government, HMO, private insurance
• Enhance the confidence of the care provider
• Offer a clear direction for therapy without losing sight of therapeutic relationship factors
A corresponding workbook and facilitator's guide - containing full transcripts of the vignettes, summaries of the key points covered in the DVD, and review questions - can be used in conjunction with the DVD as part of a self-paced learning tool or a team collaborative tool.