Students with limited language skills can have particular deficits in identifying the feelings of participants in a conflict, identifying and evaluating strategies to overcome obstacles, and knowing when a conflict is resolved (Cohen et al., 1998).
Negotiation skills emerge and develop through adolescence and are usually first successful in peer relationships. The same skills later generalize to interpersonal negotiation with adults, coworkers, and others. Teach your students to manage everyday conflicts successfully with the activities in this book.
* Detect and interpret others’ perspectives correctly
* Increase success in social communication and social interactions
* Boost self-esteem by learning how to control social interactions
* Learn to control behavior and participate in social interactions appropriately
Nonverbal Language teaches these important skills:
* Discriminate between oral and nonverbal language
* Understand the importance of personal space
* Know what is communicated through posture
* Interpret and use gestures to communicate
* Interpret facial messages
* Interpret emotions
* Identify if someone is ready to listen
* Join a group of peers
* Be an active listener
* Interpret and use tone of voice to communicate meaning
Hats off! Applause, applause! Adolescents will “take a bow” as they master specific social skill areas by understanding different social perspectives. Personalized instruction targets social communication and behavior skills that help students apply what they learn to real-world situations. Instruction methods include explicit teaching, modeling, observation, discussion, role-playing, and guided practice. A pretest/posttest is included. Use each activity with individual students or small groups of students with similar skill deficits.
40 pages, reproducible activities, answer key, CD-ROM
Note: The free CD is NOT software and is not interactive. Instead, the CD contains reproducible pages from the book in PDF Format, allowing you to open pages from the book, view them on screen, and print them from your own printer. You cannot modify or edit the text on the pages.