Following the success of the first collection of Stahl's Case Studies, published in 2011, we are pleased to present this completely new selection of clinical stories. Designed with the distinctive user-friendly presentation readers have become accustomed to and making use of icons, questions/answers and tips, these cases address complex issues in an understandable way and with direct relevance to the everyday experience of clinicians. Covering a wide-ranging and representative selection of clinical scenarios, each case is followed through the complete clinical encounter, from start to resolution, acknowledging all the complications, issues, decisions, twists and turns along the way. The book is about living through the treatments that work, the treatments that fail, and the mistakes made along the journey. This is psychiatry in real life - these are the patients from your waiting room - this book will reassure, inform and guide better clinical decision making.
Table of Contents
List of icons
1. The case: achieving remission with medication management augmented with pet therapy
2. The case: the luteal, jaw moving woman with paranoid paneling
3. The case: the other lady with a moving jaw
4. The case: the lady with MDD who bought an RV
5. The case: the PCP who went the prescribing distance but came up short
6. The case: intrusions, ammonia, and dyskinesias, oh my
7. The case: the lady and the man who sat on couches
8. The case: the lady who had her diagnosis altered
9. The case: the man who picked things up
10. The case: it worked this time, but with a hitch
11. The case: the figment of a man who looked upon on the lady
12. The case: the man who couldn't sell anymore
13. The case: the woman who thought she was ill, then was ill
14. The case: generically speaking, generics are OK
15. The case: the woman who wouldn't leave her car
16. The case: the woman who liked late night TV
17. The case: the patient who interacted with everything
18. The case: the angry twins
19. The case: anxiety, depression, or prebipolaring?
20. The case: the patient who wasn't lyming
21. The case: hindsight is always 20/20 or ADHD
22. The case: this one's too hot, this one's too cold… this one is just right
23. The case: schizophrenia patient needs sleep
24. The case: the man with greasy hands needs fine tuning
25. The case: the combative business woman
26. The case: the man with a little bit of everything
27. The case: oops, he fell off the curve
28. The case:
54-year-old with recurrent depression and 'psychiatric' Parkinsonism
29. The case:
55-year-old with depression not responsive to serotonergic treatment
30. The case:
23-year-old with first depression…that's it!
Index of drug names
Index of case studies.
About the Authors:
Stephen M. Stahl is Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego and Honorary Visiting Senior Fellow in Psychiatry at the University of Cambridge, UK. He has conducted various research projects awarded by the National Institute of Mental Health, Veterans Affairs, and the pharmaceutical industry. Author of more than 500 articles and chapters, Dr Stahl is also the author of the bestseller Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology.
Thomas L. Schwartz is Professor and Vice Chair of Psychiatry and Director of Medical Student Psychiatric Training at State University of New York Upstate Medical University. He is an author of Depression: Treatment Strategies and Management, 2nd edition and Integrating Psychotherapy and Psychopharmacology: A Handbook for Clinicians. He teaches nationally and has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed medical journals.