A science-backed method to maximize creative potential in any sphere of life
With the prevalence of computer technology and outsourcing, new jobs and fulfilling lives will rely heavily on creativity and innovation. Keith Sawyer draws from his expansive research of the creative journey, exceptional creators, creative abilities, and world-changing innovations to create an accessible, eight-step program to increasing anyone's creative potential. Sawyer reveals the surprising secrets of highly creative people (such as learning to ask better questions when faced with a problem), demonstrates how to come up with better ideas, and explains how to carry those ideas to fruition most effectively.
This science-backed, step-by step method can maximize our creative potential in any sphere of life.
Offers a proven method for developing new ideas and creative problem-solving no matter what your profession
Includes an eight-step method, 30 practices, and more than 100 techniques that can be launched at any point in a creative journey
Psychologist, jazz pianist, and author Keith Sawyer studied with world-famous creativity expert Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
Sawyer's book offers a wealth of easy to apply strategies and ideas for anyone who wants to tap into their creative power.
Introduction: Choosing Creativity
1. ASK: How the right questions lead to the most novel answers
2. LEARN: How to prepare your mind for constant creativity
3. LOOK: How to be aware of the answers all around you
4. PLAY: How to free your mind to imagine possible worlds
5. THINK: How to have way more ideas than youíll ever need
6. FUSE: How to combine ideas in surprising new ways
7. CHOOSE: How to pick the best ideas and then make them even better
8. MAKE: How getting your ideas out into the world drives creativity forward
Conclusion: The zig-zag path
Appendix A: Map of all of the steps, practices, and techniques
Appendix B: The science behind the steps