The new edition of this well established single-author textbook has now been extensively revised by a team of five authors, yet it maintains the 'feel' of the original single-authored book.
Thoroughly revised and updated, this new edition continues to provide a comprehensive review of the cognitive, emotional and behavioral consequences of cerebral disorder and their manifestations in clinical practice. In addition to standard neuropsychiatric conditions this essential text encompasses endocrine, metabolic and toxic disorders with respect to their impact on brain function.
This new edition maintains and updates sections that take account of recent theoretical and clinical developments, particularly in the chapters dealing with the dementias and toxic disorders, and in relation to the expanding range of rarer neurodegenerative disorders. Advances in brain imaging are dealt with in detail, as are salient discoveries in the fields of molecular biology and molecular genetics.
Three new chapters have been added to this fourth edition, covering; General Principles of Management; Medically Unexplained Disorders; and The Neuropsychiatry of General Psychiatry.
--- from the publisher
"It is impossible to review this book in any conventional sense - indeed it is unnecessary given its almost legendary status" British Journal of Psychiatry
"...consumately literate single-authored text written by a master clinician....the now classic text Organic Psychiatry by William Alwyn Lishman should be a part of every neuropsychiatrist's library." Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience
PART 1 Principles.
1. Principles of Neuropsychiatric Disorders (including differential diagnosis).
2. Clinical Assessment.
3. Neuropsychology in Realtion to Neuropsychiatry.
PART 2 Specific disorders.
4. Traumatic Brain Injury.
5. Cerebral Tumours.
7. Intracranial Infections.
8. Cerebrovascular Disorders.
9. Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias (including pseudodementias).
10. Endocrine Diseases and Metabolic Disorders (including vitamin deficiencies).
11. Toxic Disorders (including alcoholic brain disease).
12. Movement Disorders.
13. Other Disorders Affecting the Nervous System.
14. Sleep and Related Disorders