Now in a revised and greatly expanded second edition, this popular treatment manual and text presents an empirically validated program for teaching parents to manage noncompliance in 3- to 8-year-olds. Practitioners are provided with step-by-step guidelines for child and family assessment, detailed descriptions of parent training procedures, effective adjunctive treatment strategies, and complete protocols for conducting and evaluating the program. Cited as among the Best Practices for treating conduct problems, the program is supported by a substantial body of treatment research.
--from the publisher
New in the Second Edition:
* Expanded coverage of assessment and treatment procedures
* Updated empirical support, including results of long-term follow-up studies
* Dozens of reproducible handouts and forms, including assessment instruments, parent handouts, and recordkeeping sheets
* Two new chapters on providing feedback to parents and working with special populations
* Convenient 7" x 10" format
* Named one of the top evidence-based, family-focused treatment programs (independent review of 10 "best practices" lists, 2002).
* Effective: reflects over 30 years of research and development.
* Noncompliance is a major reason for child mental health referrals; also a major concern for teachers.
* An essential component of treatment for kids with special needs, including abused/neglected children and those with ADHD and developmental disabilities.
Table of Contents
1. Child Compliance and Noncompliance
2. Parent Training
3. Overview of the "Helping the Noncompliant Child" (HNC) Parent Training Program
4. Assessment Methods and Procedures
5. The Feedback Session and Sample Program Outline
6. Phase I: The Skills of Differential Attention
7. Phase II: The Skills of Compliance Training
8. Adjunctive Interventions
9. Adaptations for Specific Populations, Karen C. Wells
10. Review of Treatment Research and Current Directions
A. Parent's Consumer Satisfaction Questionnaire.
B. Parent Handouts and Record Sheets.
C. Social Learning Criterion Tests and Scoring Keys.
D. Mealtime Brochure.