The first book to address the increasingly urgent need for information about psychiatric problems in people with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs), Mental Health Aspects of Autism and Asperger Syndrome systematically explains the emotional and psychological difficulties that are often encountered with ASDs. The author, an experienced psychiatrist specializing in autism, describes each of the conditions that are commonly seen in autistic children and adults, including schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, and tic disorders, and gives sound guidance on their early detection and treatment. Easy to use and authoritative, this book is an essential tool for use by both family and professionals.
--- from the publisher
1. Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders: An overview.
2. What is Asperger syndrome?
3. Other Pervasive Developmental Disorders.
4. Medical Conditions in Autism.
5. Psychiatric Comorbidity: an introduction
6. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. 7. Depression and other Mood Disorders.
8. Anxiety Disorders in Autism and Asperger syndrome.
9. Schizophrenia and other Psychotic Disorders.
10. Autism, Tic Disorders, and Tourette Syndrome.
11. Other Psychiatric Disorders
12. Violence in Autism and Asperger syndrome.
13. Psychiatric Comorbidity of Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Task ahead. References. Index.