Sheri Van Dijk, MSW, RSW
Location: Bingemans Conference Centre, 425 Bingemans Centre Drive, Kitchener, ON
To download the poster, click here
Many therapists have been introduced to core concepts of DBT through Sheri Van Dijk’s workshop “Calming the Emotional Storm”, as well as through her books. This “Beyond the Basics” advanced workshop is intended for clinicians with a basic understanding of DBT who want to develop more sophisticated and targeted interventions by:
• Delving further into treatment planning from a DBT perspective and learning how to decide which DBT interventions will best suit a client’s needs
• Exploring how to teach the DBT skills to clients in relation to Axis I diagnoses such as depression, anxiety disorders, and bipolar disorder
• Discussing what to do when interventions don’t seem to be moving the client forward
• Taking a closer look at the role of the DBT consultation team
In this workshop, Sheri will focus on how to use DBT strategies and skills to treat psychiatric illnesses other than borderline personality disorder, including bipolar disorder, depression, and anxiety, and issues such as anger, grief, and self-esteem. She will also discuss challenges encountered by new DBT therapists, ideas to help therapists deal with client “resistance”, and techniques to help clinicians manage escalating emotions during the session.
This experiential and collaborative training will help expand your knowledge of DBT strategies and skills through lecture, role-play, video analysis of clients, and practical exercises.
• Focus more on how to apply the DBT skills to your own personal and professional life, and learn how these skills will help to reduce feelings of ineffectiveness and burnout with clients
• Enhance your skills in validation and being nonjudgemental in order to help your clients learn to tolerate their emotional experiences and move forward
• Practice considering clients from a behaviour theory perspective to help you analyze what might be keeping people stuck
• Learn more dialectical strategies to help clients move forward in treatment, and to elicit commitment to working on goals
• Practice working as part of a DBT consultation team
About the Presenter:
Sheri Van Dijk is a registered social worker, psychotherapist and international speaker with extensive training in dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT), mindfulness, and cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT). She is the author of several books including Calming the Emotional Storm, DBT Made Simple, and The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder. She is the 2010 recipient of the Canadian Psychiatric Association's R.O. Jones Award for her research using DBT with bipolar disorder. Sheri regularly conducts training sessions for fellow mental health professionals throughout Canada and internationally. She also maintains a private practice in Southern Ontario and is on staff at Southlake Regional Health Centre. ?
For more information about Sheri and her work: www.sherivandijk.com