6 hr 11 min
Details: Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
Leaving nothing to the abstract, “75 Quick, ‘On-the-Spot’ Techniques for Children with Emotional and Behavioral Problems” will guide you through focused, clear and successful methods for treating children. Every clinician who seeks to fill their toolbox with tested methods will end this seminar recording with a wealth of fresh ideas and rejuvenated spirits.
If you do not have a lot of experience working with children and teens, you will leave with a defined strategy for success. If you are a seasoned professional, you will learn new tricks and techniques to re-energize and revitalize your practice!
With nearly 20 years of clinical experience and a background in improvisational comedy, Dr. Steve is a strong proponent of “Edu-tainment.” Namely, he uses charm, wit and humor to enhance your seminar experience, thus improving the retention and utilization of the specific skills covered. We change the world when we touch a child’s life!
1. Utilize 75 effective, proven techniques for individually treating children with behavior problems.
2. Identify simple, teachable tools and strategies specific for parents and teachers.
3. List different medication categories and explain potential effects and side-effects.
4. Explain differential diagnostics regarding acting-out disorders such as anxiety, ADHD, bipolarity, oppositional defiance, conduct disorder and depression.
5. Develop skills for building a therapeutic relationship with difficult children and teens.
6. List DSM-5® changes affecting diagnoses for children and adolescents.
Nature v. nurture
Hormones, neuropsychology, behaviorism
“Eye of the beholder”
• DSM-5® Updates
Oppositional defiant disorder
Autism spectrum disorders
Childhood anxiety and depression
• Medication Interventions
Illegal/illicit substances and treatment effects
Tools for Helping Behavior Problems
• Quick Techniques to Manage Anger
The peace table & empathy building
Standing 8 count
Art of compromise
…And many more!
• Quick Techniques to Manage Depression
The mirror effect
Types of journaling
… And many more!
• Quick Techniques to Manage Anxiety
Ceiling fan breathing
Set the clock
...And many more!
• Quick Techniques to Manage Autism/Asperger’s
Facial expressions and social cues
Building a broader structure
Island of Solace
… And many more!
• Quick Techniques to Manage ADHD
Noise to the system
… And many more!
Techniques to help the Client’s World
• Parents/Caregivers and Teachers/Schools
The listening jar
Time out/quiet time
Token economies/response cost
(and avoiding pitfalls)
The good behavior game
• Manage Therapist Frustration
About the Presenter:
Steven T. Olivas, Ph.D., HSP, nationally-renowned speaker, author and behavior consultant, is a licensed psychologist in private practice in Middle Tennessee. He began his practice career in 1991 when ADHD was exploding onto the scene and has enjoyed working with the energy and spontaneous creativity of children ever since. Throughout his career, he has taught courses at nine colleges and universities, been a national public speaker, a regular columnist for a local newspaper and co-host of a popular radio show. He is the author of the newly released book When Good Kids Go Bad: Effective Solutions for Problem Behaviors and the acclaimed book Bad Kids … or Bad Behavior?
For nearly 25 years, he has been helping clinicians, school systems and parents around the country understand and manage the kids and teens most likely to act out in impulsive and aggressive manners.