Mariann Suarez, PhD, ABPP
SickKids CCMH Learning Institute
August 10 and 12, 2021 | 9 a.m. to noon EST
Enhance your professional skills in guiding youth to engage in productive behaviour change conversations that maximize their developmental growth with one of the founding authors of “Motivational Interviewing with Adolescents and Young Adults” Second Edition; Dr. Mariann Suarez.
Dr. Suarez will present new Motivational Interviewing (MI) updates and developments. She will outline incorporating the 4-process model and MI SPIRIT with youth clients. Participants will explore new applications and integration of MI with youth. Including EBTs, populations and settings, and next MI learning steps to enhance proficiency. Gain new tips and tools for using open-ended questions and reflections to enhance change talk. Review highlights of the “Dos” and “Don’t” recommendations. Seasoned and new practitioners will be able to easily incorporate the highlights of MI skills into their daily paediatric practice. Registration in this webinar includes a copy of Dr. Suarez’s book “Motivational Interviewing with Adolescents and Young Adults” Second Edition”
This training is suitable for:
• Mental Health Professionals: psychotherapists, counsellors, psychologists, social workers.
• Medical Professionals: nurses, psychiatrists, pediatricians, family doctors.
• Direct Service Workers: Drop in workers, shelter and hostel workers, child and youth workers, youth justice workers.
• First Responders: Police, firefighters, paramedics.
• Educators: Teachers, ECE, school administration, support staff.
• Any helping professional may benefit from this training
Level of training: Introductory
Client age category: For professionals who work with clients 12 years to adulthood.
Participants of this webinar will receive a copy of Dr. Suarez's book "Motivational Interviewing with Adolescents and Young Adults, Second Edition" released on Aug. 1, 2021 delivered to their work/home!*
*Registration includes a copy of Dr. Suarez's new book. Please note; additional shipping fees may apply for international participants (outside Canada and the US).
Description: Paediatric providers hold a privileged role helping youth to positively impact the behavioural change journeys that maximize their developmental trajectories and human potential.
Our unique expertise as paediatric guides allow us to experience exceptional professional joys, especially when collaborative behaviour change conversations result in successful outcomes.
Paediatric practice also offers opportunity for professional frustrations, especially when youth are non-compliant with treatment interventions and disengage with collaborative planning efforts by families and interdisciplinary teams. These "tug of war" conversations about behaviour change processes with youth can be challenging and tug on our own professional patience.
If you have experienced these joys, frustrations, or wondered how you can enhance professional skills guiding youth to engage in productive behaviour change conversations that maximize their developmental growth, the Motivational Interviewing (MI) with Adolescents and Young Adults - Second Edition (2021) training webinar will be of value of to you.
Dr. Mariann Suarez, one of the founding authors of MI with Adolescents and Young Adults, will present new MI updates in this introductory one-day training webinar. After attending this training, both seasoned and new practitioners learning about MI, will be able to easily incorporate the highlights of skills into their daily paediatric practice.
Specific highlights include:
• Understanding new, recent developments in the second edition of Motivational Interviewing (MI) with Adolescents and Young Adults (2021)
• Incorporating the 4-process model and MI SPIRIT with youth
• Learning new tips and tools for using open-ended questions and reflections to enhance change talk, including highlights of the "Dos" and "Don't" recommendations
• Actively participating in group activities, video and clinical dialogue review, reflective group learning exercises, and small group practice, with feedback provided by Dr. Suarez and training workshop peers
• Discussing new applications and integration of MI with Youth, including EBTs, populations and settings, and next MI learning steps to enhance proficiency
• The new updates to second edition of Motivational Interviewing (MI) with Adolescents and Young Adults (2021)
• How to apply the MI 4-process model to youth populations
• Applications of MI SPIRIT, and applications with a diverse range of common clinical issues
• New tips and clinical tools for using MI with adolescents and young adults
• Active learning MI practice in online small and large group settings, and tailored expert feedback from Dr. Suarez and group workshop peers
About the Facilitator:
Mariann Suarez, PhD, ABPP is a Licensed Clinical and Board Certified Behavioral and Cognitive Psychologist, with specialization in paediatric psychology. She served on the American Board of Behavioral and Cognitive Psychology and publishes on the use of MI with substances, health, neurocognitive developmental issues, and parenting. A member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) for decades, Dr. Suarez has provided numerous training nationally and internationally, with particular interest in teaching health-care and community providers to use MI and evidence-based practices with adolescents, young adults and families.