This is the first book to provide a complete overview of the burgeoning field of energy psychology. Fred Gallo, the originator of energy diagnostic and treatment methods (EDxTM), has gathered here a stellar group of major participants in the energy field, and the wide-ranging chapters cover enormous ground.
Gallo's introduction discusses a paradigm shift, rooted in physics, that views psychological function and dysfunction from the standpoint of bioenergy factors. This new view challenges prevalent psychological theories that focus on behavioral, cognitive, neurological, systemic, or chemical parameters to the exclusion of the underlying energetic component. This graceful introduction lays the ground for all the chapters that follow.
Part One provides an overview of the major approaches to energy psychology and covers thought field therapy; energy diagnostic and treatment methods; the Tapas acupressure technique and its roots in energy healing in traditional Chinese medicine and yoga; Judith Swack's holistic system that simultaneously addresses the somatic, psychological, and spiritual aspects of an issue; and Larry Nims's BE SET FREE FAST, which has transitioned from meridian tapping to a method that simply uses a cue word or phrase to promote healing. Also discussed are Seemorg matrix work, which synthesizes energy psychology, trauma work, analytical psychology, self psychology, and spiritual principles; and dynamic energetic healing, which combines meridian therapies, manual muscle testing, and regression to the energetic origins of a client's issue. Part Two covers integrative approaches that combine modalities into a unified plan. These include the integration of biofield and chakra concepts, the use of hypnotic language and techniques, and the use of EMDR.
Part Three takes the reader into the session, as clinicians present theories in the context of specific cases and presenting problems. Here, contributors discuss issues such as eating disorders, phobias, traumas, and various other psychological maladies. In the final part of the book, contributors propose highly speculative and creative ideas about the relationship of psychological issues and the possibilities of energy healing. Here, contributors write about behavioral kinesiology and neuropsychological research; galvanic skin response for the exploration and observation of feelings; and the reorganization of energy patterns via psychotherapeutic interventions.
This book is a bold effort to bridge gaps between mind and body, between matter and energy, and between theoretical solutions and the findings of established science. Whether you are a clinician well-versed in energy psychology and want to learn more about a new system, or whether you are new to the whole field, you are certain to find valuable information and insights here.
Table of Contents:
Introduction - Fred P. Gallo
PART I: SYSTEMS OF ENERGY PSYCHOLOGY
1. Thought Field Therapy: Advancements in Theory and Practice - John H. Diepold, Jr.
2. Energy Diagnostic and Treatment Methods - Fred P. Gallo
3. The Tapas Acupressure Technique (TAT) - Tapas Fleming
4. Healing from the Body Level Up (HBLU) - Judith A. Swack
5. Instant Be Set Free Fast: An Advanced Energy Therapy - Larry Phillip Nims
6. TARA Work: The First Transpersonal Energy Psychotherapy - Nahoma Asha Clinton
7. Energetic Healing: Trauma and Soul Work at the Origins - Mary Hammond-Newman and Howard Brockman
PART II: INTEGRATIVE APPROACHES
8. Incorporating Biofield and Chakra Concepts into Energy Psychotherapy - Dorothea Hover-Kramer
9. Using Hypnotic Language to Enhance Energy Psychotherapy -Brian Grodner
10. The Integration of Energy Psychology with Hypnosis - Lee Pulos
11. Combining EMDR and Energy Therapies - John Hartung and Michael Galvin
12. Integrative Therapy and Spiritual Therapy - Philip Friedman
PART III: SPECIAL APPLICATIONS
13. Use of Hypnosis and EMDR Combined with Energy Therapies in the Treatment of Phobias and Dissociative, Posttraumatic Stress, and Eating Disorders - Lillian Gross and Harold Ratner
14. Inner Child, Inner Parent Resolution (ICIPR): Meridian-Based Treatment Focused on Archaic States and Introjects - Willem Lammers
15. Integrating Past and Present: The Early Recollection Technique - Mary S. Wheeler
16. Energy Applications in Medical Settings - M. Marie Green
17. Energy Psychotherapy as an Adjunctive Treatment for Addiction - Loretta Sparks
18. Multiple Pose Applications of Tapass Acupressure Technique with Special Populations - H. Jane Wakefield
PART IV: SPECIAL TOPICS
19. EMDR and Subtle Energy: A Proposed Mechanism of Action - Rick Leskowitz
20. Duct Tape, Goggles, and Correcting Hemispheric Imbalances - John A. Frisco
21. The Active Ingredients of the Change Process in Therapy - Garry A. Flint
22. Using the BiomonitorAn Energy Gauge for Mind and Body - Hank Levin
23. Grounding Energy Psychology in the Physical Sciences - Mark Evan Furman
24. An Energy Psychology Trialogue: The Body Docs Perspective - James V. Durlacher, Scott Walker, and Fred P. Gallo
Addendum: Energy Psychology Series
"Fred Gallo has assembled a unique and cohesive group of contributors for this exciting volume. This comprehensive book showcases the present remarkable progress in this vital field of human problems and their solutions."
George J. Goodheart, D.C.,
DIBAK Research Director,
International College of Applied Kinesiology
Founder of Applied Kinesiology
"An invaluable introduction to the most exciting and innovative development in psychotherapy I have ever encountered?energy psychology. Each lucidly written essay details the theory and practice of one of the major energy approaches, with illuminating case illustrations. Right now, energy psychology is revolutionary, cutting-edge, and shocking to the uninitiated; in a decade or less it will be mainstream. For this reason, if for no other, every clinician owes it to him- or herself to read this book."
Nathaniel Branden, Ph.D.
Author of The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem
"Each chapter of Energy Psychology in Psychotherapy provides readers with an invitation to explore an innovative attempt to alleviate human suffering. While the methods presented are very new and only starting to be submitted to scientific scrutiny, the corroborating results being reported by a wide range of clinicians makes the emerging field of energy psychology one to closely watch."
Stanley Krippner, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Saybrook Graduate School
Coauthor of Extraordinary Dreams
Coeditor of The Psychological Effects of War on Civilians
"This ambitious sourcebook provides a comprehensive summary of currently available knowledge about energy psychotherapy, theories, and research. The clinical application of energy healing and energy psychotherapy has long needed a uniting force to integrate the proliferation of healing techniques that have been generated over the past few decades. Here, some of the most outstanding innovators in the field of psychological energy healing integrate the connection between the body and mind in an impressive attempt to bring the broad field of energy psychotherapies to the general mental health community. For the experienced energy practitioner, it is an exciting read. For the novice, it is a superb resource to ground oneself to the arena of energy healing. Undoubtedly it will become a classic volume in mental health and will be used in teaching and training programs for many years. At last, the energy therapies have a readily accessible resource that all can use to compare and contrast the many energy treatment methods that have become widespread in the energy therapy field. Energy Psychology in Psychotherapy is a tremendous contribution to the field."
Gary Peterson, M.D.
Consultant, Program on Childhood Trauma and Maltreatment,
School of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chair, Professional Affairs Committee, Association for Comprehensive Energy Psychology
About the Editor:
Fred P. Gallo, Ph.D., clinical psychologist, is a pioneer in energy psychology and has been training professionals since 1980. He is the founder of energy diagnostic and treatment methods (EDxTM) and is also the author of Energy Psychology and Energy Diagnostic and Treatment Methods (Norton, 2000), coauthor of Energy Tapping and The Neurophysics of Human Behavior, and the editor of the Norton Energy Psychology Series.
from the publisher's website