A concise guide to shaking things up in therapy.
All clinicians want to be effective and avoid burnout or boredom, particularly in the face of stalling therapy. Here, 10 practical, creative strategies are delivered—like invoking inspirational imagery and using humor, music, and movement—to help spark a client’s “emotional brain” and engage and advance the healing process.
Introduction: Creating Transformative Emotional Experiences
Part I: Awakening a Session
1. The Power of Emotion
2. Engaging the Emotional Brain
3. Enlivening The Therapeutic Alliance
4. Eliciting Exciting Goals
Part II: Healing Emotional Wounds
5. Locating the Root of an Emotional Pattern
6. Erasing the Negative Impact of Trauma
Part III: Activating Experiential Change
7. Invoking Inspirational Imagery
8. Conjuring Up Outrageous Stories
9. Summoning Quick Humor and Association Games
10. Rousing Rhythm, Music, and Movement
11. Mastering the Emotional Dance (Therapy as Lived Experience)
About the Author:
Courtney Armstrong, MEd, a licensed professional counselor, lives in Hixson, Tennessee.