"A magnificent work from an author who is, himself, a master of the mind." –Raymond D. Fowler, PhD, Past president and former CEO of the American Psychological Association
"Sweeping in scope and truly impressive in its scholarship, Millon’s text traces historical developments and identifies the thinkers and scientists who from antiquity to the present time have shaped contemporary understanding of how the mind works. This captivating and informative volume will be appreciated and valued by all readers interested in the history of ideas." –Irving B. Weiner, PhD, University of South Florida
"Wide ranging, cohesive, and eminently readable, Theodore Millon’s Masters of the Mind is a tour de force from one of the world’s leading psychologists....a major touchstone for all those interested in these fascinating stories of mental disorders and the search for systems to understand and treat [them]." –Jeffrey J. Magnavita, PhD
Connecticut Center for Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy
"A fascinating, informative, comprehensive, broad-minded, brilliant, and perceptive tour of the universe of views of mental function and dysfunction, this book helps the reader understand contributions from nearly every conceivably relevant discipline throughout history." -- Lorna Smith Benjamin, PhD, University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute
PART I: PHILOSOPHICAL STORIES.
1. Demythologizing the Ancients’ Spirits.
2. Resuscitating and Fashioning Scientific Thinking.
PART II: HUMANITARIAN STORIES.
3. Creating and Reforming the Custodial Asylum.
4. Rekindling Sensibilities and Releasing Potentials.
PART III: NEUROSCIENTIFIC STORIES.
5. Identifying, Describing, and Classifying Psychiatric Disorders.
6. Exploring and Altering the Convoluted Brain.
PART IV: PSYCHOANALYTIC STORIES.
7. Exposing and Decoding the Unconscious.
8. Innovating the Intricacies of Intrapsychic Thought.
PART V: PSYCHOSCIENTIFIC STORIES.
9. Untangling Learning and Remedying Behavior.
10. Scrutinizing Introspections and Rebuilding Cognitions.
PART VI: SOCIOCULTURAL STORIES.
11. Unveiling the Social and Anthropological World.
12. Exploring and Enhancing Interpersonal Relationships.
PART VII: PERSONOLOGIC STORIES.
13. Enlisting Evolution to Elucidate Human Adaptations.
14. Systematically Measuring and Integrating the Mind.
About the Author.