Designed to provide in-depth guidelines for the most effective interventions in family violence, the volume explains the procedures used in a number of innovative programs. Highlighted by explicit and often dramatic case material, the editor points to the need for therapeutic attention to all family members. The reader will also find the implications for practice gleaned from the latest research on battered women.
Completely revised and updated, this volume focuses on short-term treatment and intervention, as well as working with special populations that include multicultural groups and oppressed / vulnerable populations. Dr. Roberts also addresses domestic violence in health care settings.
Any practitioner in the field of domestic violence---experienced or in training---should consider this essential reading.
Foreword by Ann W. Burgess, D.N.Sc., FAAN
Section I: Overview, Stages of Change, Crisis
Intervention and Time-Limited Treatment
1. The Duration, Severity and Lethal Consequences of Domestic Violence: Cases, Myths, Facts, Prevalence, Costs, Continuum, and Crisis Intervention
--Albert R. Roberts, Ph.D.. D.A.B.F.E.
2. Cognitive Problem-Solving Therapy and Stages of Change that Facilitate and
Sustain Battered Women's Leaving
--Sondra Burman, Ph.D., LCSW
3. National Survey on Empowerment Strategies, Crisis Intervention and Cognitive
Problem-Solving Therapy with Battered Women
--Albert R. Roberts, Ph.D. and Sondra Burman, Ph.D., LCSW
4. Discovering Strengths and Competencies in Female Domestic Violence Victims: An Application of Roberts' Continuum of the Duration and Severity of Woman Battering
-- Mo-Yee Lee, Ph.D.
5. National Survey of 107 Shelters for Battered Women and Their Children
--Albert R. Roberts, Ph.D., Gina Robertiello, Ph.D., & Kimberly Bender, M.S.W.
6. The Stress-Crisis Continuum: Its Application to Domestic Violence
--Pamela V. Valentine, Ph.D., Ann W. Burgess, D.N.Sc., and Albert R. Roberts,
7. Community Response Models for Battered Women: From Crisis Intervention to
Legal Advocacy and Court-Based Justice Centers
--Karen S. Knox, Ph.D., LCSW., and Mary Jo Garcia-Briggs, Ph.D.
Section II: Children and Adolescents from Violent Homes
8. Complex Trauma and Crisis Intervention with Children in Shelters for Battered
--Peter Lehmann, Ph.D., and Emily Spence, Ph.D.
9. Integrating Domestic Violence Assessment into Child Protective Services
Intervention: Policy and Practice Implications
--Linda G. Mills, Ph.D., J.D.
10. Intervention and Treatment Strategies with Adolescents from Maritally Violent
--Maura O'Keefe, Ph.D., LCSW and Shirley Lebovics, LCSW
Section III: Mental Health and Healthcare Policies and Practices with Battered Women
11. Imminent Danger of Failing to Redefine Woman Battering as Coercive Control:
Contextualizing and Application of Roberts' Seven Stage Crisis Intervention Model and the Ecological Nested Model
--Cynthia Wilcox Lischick, Ph.D., D.V.S.
12. Conjoint Therapy for the Treatment of Partner Abuse: Indications and
--Janet A. Geller, Ed.D., LCSW
13. Battered Women in the Emergency Room: Emerging Roles for the ER Social
Worker and Clinical Nurse Specialist
--Mary E. Boes, Ph.D., LCSW
14. Intimate Partner Violence: Intervention in Primary Health Care Settings
--Bonnie E. Carlson, Ph.D., ACSW, and Louise-Anne McNutt, Ph.D.
15. Domestic Violence Against Women with Mental Retardation
--Leone Murphy, RN, MS, and Nancy J. Razza, Ph.D.
Section IV: High-Risk Groups and Vulnerable Populations
16. Poverty, Welfare, Work and Domestic Violence
--Diane Green, Ph.D. and Patricia Brownell, Ph.D.
17. Same-Sex Domestic Violence: Myths, Facts, Correlates, Treatment and Prevention Strategies
--Nicky Ali Jackson, Ph.D.
18. International Perspectives on Elder Mistreatment and Neglect: Critical Issues, Policies and Programs
--Patricia Brownell, DSW
19. Domestic Violence and Substance Abuse: An Integrated Approach
--Katherine van Wormer, Ph.D., LCSW
Section V: Cross-Cultural Issues, Policies and Practices with Battered Women
20. The Use of the Culturagram in Understanding Immigrant Women Affected by
--Elaine P. Congress, D.S.W., LCSW, and Patricia Brownell, D.S.W.
21. Venezuelan-American Abusive Relationships: Assessment and Treatment
--Diane L. Green, Ph.D. and Mary W. Viani, M.S.W.
22.Chinese Battered Women in North America: Their Experiences and Treatment
--Mo-Yee Lee, Ph.D., LCSW, and Patrick Au, DIP.PSW, CQSW
23. Validating Coping Strategies and Empowering Latino Battered Women in Puerto
--Diana Valle Ferrer, Ph.D., LCSW