Dr Malan's iconic book is firmly established as a classic psychotherapy textbook and its popularity remains high. The third edition of this highly individual and fascinating book, sees the addition of two new chapters: one covering individual short term psychodynamic therapy and the other discussing outcome measures, progress and essential follow up, whilst keeping the essential character of the original book unchanged.
Through the use of numerous, well known case studies and stories, the book begins with everyday mental mechanisms through to discussion of some of the most profound problems experienced by human beings. Practical applications of theory through different techniques are described from the straightforward to the handling of some of the most complex and dangerous situations likely to be encountered in psychotherapy.
* Covers the principles of dynamic psychotherapy form the most elementary to some of the most profound
* Always illustrated with true case studies and stories told as they happened
* Full interpretations and analysis
* Beautifully written and highly accessible for anyone with a deep interest in people
* Two important new chapters covering individual short term psychodynamic therapy and outcomes and follow-up
A classic and important resource for all psychotherapists of any degree of experience, psychiatrists, psychologists, counsellors, primary care physicians, mental health nurses and anyone with an interest in the human mind. With its sensitive updating for this the third edition, the popularity of Dr Malan's classic work is assured.
About the Author
David H Malan DM, FRCPsych Formerly of the Tavistock Clinic, London, UK