A no-nonsense and helpful guide on how to cope with a slew of mental-health issues that are hellbent on ruining the lives of millions of people worldwide.
Our brains do their best to help us out, but every so often they can be real assholes—having melt downs, getting addicted to things, or shutting down completely at the worst possible moments. Your brain knows it’s not good to do these things, but it can’t help it sometimes—especially if it’s obsessing about trauma it can’t overcome. That’s where this life-changing book comes in.
With humor, patience, science, and lots of good-ole swearing, Dr. Faith explains what’s going on in your skull, and talks you through the process of retraining your brain to respond appropriately to the non-emergencies of everyday life, and to deal effectively with old, or newly acquired, traumas (particularly post-traumatic stress disorder).
“As a passionate professor, counselor, and follower of neuroscience research, I strongly recommendUnfuck Your Brain: Using Science to Get Over Anxiety, Depression, Anger, Freak-outs, and Triggers. Dr. Harper’s writing style definitely held my attention and made me laugh many times while still informing me about some complicated neuroscience and health related topics. This book is a wonderful change from all the dry, dull, writing I usually read on a daily basis. I encourage everyone dealing with any of these issues or who is interested in becoming updated in the recent neuroscience research to purchase a copy and start reading it today.” —Allen Novian, PhD, LMFT, LPC-S, Adjunct Professor at St. Mary’s University
About the Author:
Faith Harper, PhD, LPC-S, ACS, ACN is a bad-ass, funny lady with a PhD. She’s a licensed professional counselor, board supervisor, certified sexologist, and applied clinical nutritionist with a private practice and consulting/training business in San Antonio, TX. She has been an adjunct professor and a TEDx presenter, and proudly identifies as a woman of color and uppity intersectional feminist. She is the author of several highly popular “five-minute therapy” zines on subjects suchas anxiety, depression, and grief.
Check out Faith Harper's other titles, including:
• Unf#ck Your Boundaries : Build Better Relationships Through Consent, Communication, and Expressing Your Needs
• Unf#ck Your Boundaries Workbook
• Unf#ck Your Intimacy : Using Science for Better Relationships, Sex, and Dating
• Unf#ck Your Intimacy Workbook
• Unf#ck Your Anger : Using Science to Understand Frustration, Rage, and Forgiveness
• Unf#ck Your Anger Workbook
• Unf#ck Your Adulting : Give Yourself Permission, Carry Your Own Baggage, Don't Be a Dick, Make Decisions, & Other Life Skills
• Unf#ck Your Year : A Weekly Unplanner and Self-Care Activity Book to Manage Your Anxiety, Depression, Anger, Triggers, and Freak-Outs
• Unf#ck Your Worth : Overcome Your Money Emotions, Value Your Own Labor, and Manage Financial Freak-outs in a Capitalist Hellscape
• Unf#ck Your Worth Workbook : Manage Your Money, Value Your Own Labor, and Stop Financial Freakouts in a Capitalist Hellscape
• Unf#ck Your Brain : Using Science to Understand Frustration