What is addiction? What causes it? Is there one best way to treat it?
This guide answers these questions, and many more. Written by professional counsellors for people with alcohol and other drug use problems and their families, this concise and easy-to-read guide gives information on:
• addiction treatment options
• how people change
• recovery and relapse prevention
• help for partners and families
• explaining addiction to children.
Addiction can devastate people’s health, social life, finances, career—and every other aspect of their lives. It can also be very hard to change. Reading this booklet can give people:
• a clearer understanding of the problem
• practical strategies for dealing with addiction and reducing its harm
• tips on where to find the support needed to put the problem behind them.
The guide also recommends books and websites where people can learn more, and includes contact information for organizations and services that can offer support.
Professionals who work with people with addiction and their families may wish to offer this guide to their clients, and use it to introduce and discuss issues. People with substance use problems and their families may wish to order this guide for themselves. The guide is also useful for health and social service workers, students, journalists and anyone else wishing to gain a basic understanding of addiction, its effects and treatment.