Seminars in the Psychiatry of Learning Disabilities (second edition) is an informative and readable textbook that provides a comprehensive overview of the field in one volume. It is both a revision and an expansion of the first edition, published in 1997. The field of learning disability has advanced very rapidly, with changes in the climate of caring, diagnostic categories and concepts and our understanding of the diverse causes of learning disability.
This second edition contains several new chapters incorporating accounts of the psychological treatment of behavioural problems, consent and capacity, the underlying causes of learning disability and molecular genetics. Existing challenges facing learning disability specialists are also highlighted, including physical health needs, communication between professionals and those with learning disabilities and the organisation of comprehensive health care.
* Ideal for those in specialist training, or those seeking a more general understanding of learning disabilities.
* Topics explained in accessible, tutorial-style chapters.
* Comprehensive coverage of the subject in a single volume.
"This new edition is designed to provide the essential background necessary for those in higher training in the subspecialty. It indeed acheives this aim and as such it is a 'must buy' for those going on to specialize in this field. ...Although it has not many other books in the way of competition it still stands up well to critical review."
Journal of Intellectual Disability Research
List of tables, boxes and figures
List of contributors
1. New patterns of service - Mary Lindsey
2. Applied epidemiology - Tom Fryers and Oliver Russell
3. Genetics and learning disability - Walter Muir
4. Behavioural phenotypes - Tom Berney
5. Children with learning disabilities and psychiatric problems - Bruce Tonge
6. Autism - Craig Melville and John Cameron
7. Communicating with people with learning disability - Julia Scotland and W. Fraser
8. Adults with learning disabilities and psychiatric problems - Mike Vanstraelen, Geraldine Holt and Nick Bouras
9. Psychiatry of learning disability in older people - Sally-Ann Cooper
10. Counselling and psychotherapy - Sheila Hollins
11. Psychological treatment of common behavioural problems - Andrew Jahoda and Audrey Espie
12. Psychotropic medication and learning disability - Zed Ahmed
13. Epilepsy - Michael Kerr
14. Health needs and the organisation of health care - Helen Baxter, Christopher Morgan and Michael Kerr
15. Health morbidity in adults with Down’s syndrome - Vee Prasher
16. Forensic psychiatry and learning disability - Susan Johnston
17. Consent and decision-making capacity - Anthony Holland
Selective glossary of terms used in molecular genetics