• Improve cooperation, problem solving, sporting behavior, and empathy in the physical education setting.
• Meet standards 5, 6, and 7 of the NASPE standards.
• Learn effective tools for class management.
• Gain assessment techniques for demonstrating achievement of standards
Foster emotional and social connections in physical education classes with the activities presented in Character Education: 43 Fitness Activities for Community Building. This book takes the idea and practice of team building to a higher level while helping teachers meet National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) standards in physical education.
Don Glover, a widely known authority on community-building and team-building strategies, shares his insights using an easy-to-understand approach. You’ll find more than 40 carefully crafted and field-tested activities designed to help small groups of students develop social and psychological skills with their peers in the physical activity setting. Students will practice giving praise, offering suggestions, solving problems, and working together. At the same time, students will learn character education values and build self-esteem through the proven power of feelings of belonging and ownership. Developing these traits in your students provides you with powerful class-management tools and helps you meet NASPE standards 5, 6, and 7, which emphasize responsible personal and social behavior; respect for differences; and understanding of the opportunities for enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction inherent in physical activity.
The book includes the following teacher-friendly features:
• More than 40 illustrated, field-tested team fitness activities for community building
• Key terms and chapter highlights at the beginning of each chapter
• Reproducible sample forms for introducing and implementing portfolio assessment, such as self-evaluation forms, parent and peer evaluation forms, fitness goal maps, sample rubrics, and goal and baseline sheets
--- from the publisher