Does even the thought of a visit to the doctor's office start your heart racing? You're not alone. Some 30 million of us have a significant fear of doctors, dentists, medical procedures, blood, needles, and so forth. These fears might already have inconvenienced you, but if you're avoiding necessary medical attention, you could be putting yourself in great physical danger.
But you don't have to live with these fears anymore. This book can help you overcome your medical phobia, maybe in less time that you ever thought possible. Start by learning about your fears, where they might come from, what factors influence them, and how you can best prepare to overcome them. Then you'll gradually and safely confront your specific fears. The book also includes information about avoiding relapse so you can maintain your progress, as well as steps for helping someone you care about who suffers from a medical phobia.
· Learn about your fears, how they may have begun, and the methods used to treat them
· Prepare for treatment, either on your own or with the help of a professional
· Explore exposure-based strategies for overcoming your fears
· Learn strategies to prevent fainting
· Plan relapse-prevention strategies to maintain your progress
· Engage your family and friends as sources of support
--- from the publisher