To help ensure the best outcomes for learners with autism spectrum disorder, speech-language pathologists (SLPs) and behavior analysts (Bas) need to work together to support positive behavior and effective communication. This book provides SLPs with a clearer understanding of applied behavior analysis (ABA)—and bridges the gap between the two fields with a comprehensive plan for collaboration.
An important new addition to courses in speech-language pathology, this textbook clears up the myths and misconceptions surrounding ABA and builds a clear path to interprofessional practice between SLPs and Bas. Through chapters co-authored by practitioners from both disciplines, speech-language pathologists will learn how to move past ABA stereotypes and controversies, incorporate the best ABA-based practices into their work- and break down the barriers to productive collaboration with Bas.
An essential part of every future SLP's education—and an eye-opening guide for practicing professionals—this timely text shows how experts from two vital fields can learn from each other and work as a seamless team to support better lives for people with autism.
READ THIS BOOK TO:
• Discover the benefits of collaborating with Bas,including practical strategies for connecting with them and for learning from their expertise
• Learn fundamental features of ABA,including its key terminology, core behavioral teaching components, and data collection methods
• Receive recommendations for applying the interprofessional education and interprofessional practice model (IPE/IPP)
• Learn about proven ABA-based interventions,including the analysis of verbal behavior, Pivotal Response Treatment, Incidental Teaching, and the Picture Exchange Communication System
• Learn how to integrate ABA with speech-language pathologyin critical areas, including assessment, goal-setting, and behavior intervention
STUDENT-FRIENDLY FEATURES:Learning objectives, reflection questions, vignettes, and a helpful glossary make it easy for SLPs to absorb and apply new terminology and strategies.