‘At last, a book that illustrates the historical evolution of the concept of the analytic field right up to the most recent developments. An indispensable book for any analyst interested in the new horizons of contemporary psychoanalysis.’
- Stefano Bolognini, President of the Italian Psychoanalytical Society
The EFPP (European Federation for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy) promotes communication and discussion between psychotherapists across national boundaries in the child and adolescent, adult, family and group sections of the organisation, through its conferences and seminars on topics of interest in contemporary psychoanalytic psychotherapy. The organisation represents some 13,000 psychoanalytic psychotherapists in 22 countries in Western, Central and Eastern Europe and is concerned with many matters which are relevant to the profession, such as training and registration. To learn more about the EFPP conferences and activities see www.efpp.org.
'Until now no book has ever attempted to compare and contrast contributions on analytic field theory and at the same time to explore its clinical and technical implications. This volume is intended for the first time to link together many of these writings and to provide an initial wide-ranging survey of the subject - for it is our contention that a theory of the field in various of its loci can also be inhabited by different theories. A particular aim of this book is to present not only theoretical discussions of field theory, but also contributions on clinical work and technique. For this reason we have given preference to articles with a substantial clinical component which exemplify specific underlying technical theory. In the Babel of psychoanalytic languages, clinical practice is in our view the most effective way of comparing psychoanalytic models.'
- From the Introduction
Table of Contents:
Biographies of the Contributors
1) The Universe of the Field and Its Inhabitants—Antonino Ferro and Roberto Basile
2) On the Therapeutic Action of Psychoanalysis—Cláudio Laks Eizirik
3) The Enlarged Notion of Field of Psychoanalysis—Claudio Neri
4) Adolescence as a Dynamic Field—Luis Kancyper
5) Las Meninas—Laura Ambrosiano and Eugenio Gaburri
6) The Dynamic Field Psychoanalysis: A Turning Point in the Theories of the Unconscious—Carlos Sopena
7) Working With and in the Basic Layer of the Interpersonal Field: Opportunities and Dangers—Rudi Vermote
8) The Analytic Third: Working With Intersubjective Clinical Facts—Thomas H. Ogden
9) “The play’s the thing wherein I’ll catch the conscience of the king!” Psychoanalysis as a Passion Play—James S. Grotstein
About the author:
Antonino Ferro is a Training and Supervising Analyst in the Italian Psychoanalytic Society, the American Psychoanalytic Association and the International Psychoanalytical Association. He has been a visiting professor of psychoanalysis in various institutions in Europe, North America, South America and Australia. He received the Sigourney Award in 2007.
--- from the publisher